Join Us Out on the Construction Site! We would love for you to become a member of our ever growing ESTHFH family as so many have through the past several years from all across the country.
Want to Volunteer?
Please review the following information, check availability through our online calendar, and sign up through our online registration! Feel free to call the office with questions at any time, Monday – Friday, 8am to 5pm. (985) 639-0656
What to Expect:
What should I expect as a volunteer?
- Fun, hard work and new friends!
- Most volunteers come in teams affiliated with churches, organizations or businesses, but individuals are always welcome.
- We build Tuesday-Saturday; worksite hours are 6:50am to 3:00pm. Join us on site for any amount of time you can offer!
- There are dozens of construction tasks that require little or no training. However, on the job training for novice builders is provided on site by supervisors or volunteer leaders.
- Habitat supplies all of the tools and supplies that are needed. Some volunteers prefer to work with their own tools and are more than welcome to do so. Please make sure all personal tools are clearly labeled.
- Make sure you pack a lunch to bring to the jobsite with you, as lunches are not provided.
- Morning Circle – Staff members and crew leaders meet with volunteers at Morning Circle to start the day with a cup of coffee, fellowship, job assignments, affiliate orientation, safety training and devotion/reflection. Please come dressed and ready to work when you arrive at circle. You will go directly from there to your worksite. Morning Circle is held at the East St. Tammany Habitat for Humanity Office at 747 Old Spanish Trail. starting at 6:50 am.
- Due to Habitat for Humanity International regulations no one under 16 is permitted to be on a Habitat construction site or act as a construction volunteer and when volunteering in another capacity must have one to one adult supervision
- You must provide your own transportation to and from the construction site. [We have a special partnership with Enterprise Rent-A-Car, they offer discounts off the lowest rates for people volunteering with Habitat.]
- We cannot promise any specific type of work while you are with us volunteering. The construction schedule is constantly evolving based on each week’s productivity. However please let us know if you have certain skills so that if able we can accommodate.
What should I bring with me? Plan to bring seasonal appropriate work clothes, heavy boots or sturdy shoes (sneakers are okay), work gloves, a hat, bandana, water bottle, and a positive attitude.
Out of Town Volunteers
HOUSING/ AFFILIATE FEES: We have several housing options available to those who come to volunteer with us from out of town. These arrangements need to be made through the Volunteer Coordinator prior to your arrival. Housing options include:
- Peace Mission Center (group/hostel style housing) located at Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church.Bunk beds or air mattresses and shared bathrooms. These local church housing facilities include access to both laundry and kitchen facilities. Most meals are provided by the church (evening meals on Saturday and Sunday are not provided). Volunteers are responsible for their own transportation.Cost is $225 per person for each week, payable directly to Habitat.
- Peace Mission Center also has a limited number of RV parking accommodations. Let the Volunteer Coordinator know the size and type of your RV.
- Local hotels – Volunteers are responsible for their own hotel reservations and expenses (discounts available). For volunteers that choose to provide their own accommodations, we ask for a contribution of $25 per person for each week to support miscellaneous volunteer expenses. Your contribution will be greatly appreciated! Volunteers are responsible for their own lunches and transportation.
The costs requested are known as an affiliate fee. These charges help in defraying the costs associated with group housing, t-shirts/magnets/pins, and other incidental expenses that are part of our volunteer program. Fees are collected on Tuesday morning at Morning Circle. Donations are also welcome at any time. Thank you! All questions regarding the affiliate fees or donations should be directed toward the Habitat office. Local Community Members Are Always Welcome! We encourage you to come out and take pride in all that Slidell has accomplished. We would love to have you join us in whatever capacity you are able. Please be sure to pack a lunch to bring with you to the worksite, as lunches are not provided. INDIVIDUALS and GROUPS: Local volunteers are encouraged to call the office ahead of time or register online. A portion of our volunteer positions are reserved every Saturday for local groups.
Work at the Restore
You should know that our ReStore is always in need of local volunteers. If you are not able/willing to work on a construction site this is an alternative way to help out, especially for volunteers under age 18. The Restore is located on Old Spanish Trail in Slidell in the same building as our Administrative Offices. Feel free to speak to the Manager at any time 985-649-0067